I write on this website, and publish a regular newsletter on remote working, leadership and tech.
I’m Technology Director at RED Academy.
I consult on remote working, leadership, process and learning with my friends at Better at Work.
I’m slowly building Foundry Academy.
I occasionally design and build websites for small, local businesses.
In the last few years I’ve worked at Ada College and CharlieHR. Before that, I helped to build Sparta Global.
I’m care deeply about creating environments where people can do great work, genuinely enjoy it, and are able to make the right decisions – both for themselves and for their company. I strongly believe this leads to better lives and better businesses. Work should not be a chore.
It’s kinda hard to describe my work at Red Academy, but it’s mostly leadership stuff with a sprinkling of learning experience design.
While I’m a software engineer by trade, I’ve slowly come to realise that I have a much bigger impact if I focus on helping other people do their thing better. So while I still code, It’s mostly for fun these days.
When it comes to helping folks enjoy their work, right now I’m mostly busy with:
- Helping people design and establish useful and reliable systems & processes.
- Simplifying existing processes (and the mental models needed to habitualise them).
- Coaching other leaders and managers.
- Facilitating a bunch of meetings and workshops.
- Listening to people. Lots.
- Designing and running training.
- Automating away some of the really shitty work. (Hot take: “No code” tools are revolutionary.)
- Championing remote work and a remote-first culture. I mostly work remote right now, as does my absolutely awesome team.